Focus......

“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”- Arnold Schwarzenegger
“The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.” -Arnold Schwarzenegger

FIGURING OUT THE FIFTIES.... SO THIS IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT.......

Monday 26 October 2009

I'm Old School????

Trained back this morning... It was a great workout with lots of our favourites - deadlifts, pullovers, chins... funny how what we think of as just a workout is now looked at as "Old School" and everyone is jumping back in there... hmmm does that mean I am now "Old School" LOL

Saw someone mention Gironda curls the other day... we were doing them when we saw Gironda first do them and now they are back and amazing LOL hell I'm old!

The other thing that seems to be coming back to remind me of my age is the problem so many women have with loosing weight and thyroid issues.

I have been on thyroxine, or generic brands of it, for 26 years now, and it wasn't until other women starting asking me about how my thyroid thing messes with me that I really even thought about it.

It has always just been this annoying little white tablet I must take every day... MUST... learnt that the hard way when a locum doctor played with my dosage and sent me into a spiral of depression and anxiety attacks, which finally culminated in me freaking out and trying to run away from my life... in a 18 foot long Chev Belair with flames on it... in a small NZ town, where I was living with a cop... ok so it obviously affected my reasoning as well cause well obviously I didn't get far before the cops found me.. LOL

So after all these years what have I learnt about relying on a synthetic thyroid drug that the doctors don't seem to know..... or maybe they do know but have some perverse sense of humour when it comes to women and weight loss....

Please remember that these are just what I know from living with this, I still have not been told the technical terms for most of this and I don't feel I really need them, I just know how I want to feel when I feel normal and ok..

I have learnt that...

Only I know how my body feels when I feel "right" and like "I" should feel.

Average is a relevant term.. The scale for average thyroid values varies several points, just under average makes ME feel like a slug on sleeping tablets, right on average makes me feel like an awake slug, just over average and hello there I am...

A doctor has an opinion of what they believe is a good dose, it is their opinion, they can not force you to take their opinion, if you feel like shit on their dose TELL THEM to change it - NOW! If they won't - change doctors - NOW!!!!

Take your dose once a day, in the morning or at night, with or without food, standing or sitting, wearing a kaftan or a mini skirt, just do it at the same time every day... every day!

It takes 3 days for what you take to take effect... so if you don't take your does today no biggy, but in three days time.. BAM, tears and sleepiness... by then you have forgotten you missed your dose three days ago and don't realise why you feel like crap... so don't miss a dose ever!

Always check the label, mine must be kept in the fridge, after 24 years of not having to do that I didn't notice the label change.... I went through hell for 4 months where I gained around 10 kgs! it was also the time my doctor told me if I wanted to loose weight I should eat nothing but air for a week... I had to beg him to let me have a blood test and wow what a surprise really really low thyroid levels!!! Of course I didn't get an apology, just told to read the label.. I have never been back to him!

Nothing I eat affects the thyroid dosage, I saw somewhere that broccoli and cabbage should not be eaten... WTF??? I have been living on broccoli for the last 2 years, I love my broccoli and it loves me... I lost all my weight eating broccoli, spinach, cauliflower, cabbage.... nah I can eat anything and probably have in the last 26 years...

Do not overdose on them... bad, bad, bad... ohhh unless you want to kill yourself.... bad, bad, bad... Do not under dose on them... again, unless you want to kill yourself... bad, bad, bad.. I will always remember being told that not taking my dose would not kill me because way before the the thyroid condition got to me I would be so depressed I would have thrown myself under a truck. This is why they are not considered a life threatening medication and we must pay for it, not taking them will not kill you... you will kill you... ahh got to love government legislation...

So at the end of this what do I really recommend???

Everyone should ask for a thyroid test along with their other blood work that everyone really should have done at least once a year, iron levels, calcium, cholesterol, thyroid levels. Then get your doctor to explain why they think your levels are ok, you are paying for their expert opinion make them work for their money! If you don't ask you wont be told....

Its your body do what ever it takes to look after it... before you become old school!!!

1 comment:

mq01 said...

hmmm, lots of great advice, thanks witchazel. this might explain some things for me...i'll be sure to ask during my next dr checkup.