Focus......

“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”- Arnold Schwarzenegger
“The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.” -Arnold Schwarzenegger

FIGURING OUT THE FIFTIES.... SO THIS IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT.......

Monday 19 October 2009

Olympia & IFBB.....

I have been putting off doing the blog about my contests cause I have no idea how to put what I am feeling into words... which for me is a really weird feeling... cause when you boil me right down to the bones, words are my song and my dance, words are how I paint my life... so this is going to be an erratic dance with beats that don't have rhythm or rhyme as I try to explain my feelings on the competitions....

I could paint a picture of a Silver Medal at the INBA Natural Olympia, with fanfare trumpets and exaltation... But my heart says I placed 2nd out of three. Yes I still have a ridiculously large bread & butter plate sized silver medal, which my daughter pointed out I could eat off.. except I wasn't allowed to eat at that point LOL... but out of three, is that enough to be proud of?????

The background to the picture is an exhausting Thursday, of driving and standing in registration lines & for photos... a more exhausting Friday with the horrible realisation that it is impossible to sleep with a head covered in butterfly clips... so zero sleep... ZERO SLEEP... exhausted already I haven't stepped on stage.. Took one look at my condition and I was devastated... I looked soft and empty and I knew I had totally missed the mark on my condition...

Getting changed in the carpark, full strip down with a towel so the security camera couldn't get a total picture... Turned out a good choice, dressing room so crowded I finished my prep on the steps at the back of the stage... Found out only 3 in the Figure International Class which was so disappointing... yes I placed 2nd... Yay I wasn't 3rd, but I would have loved a bigger field of competitors...

Just one class between my first and second stand on stage, waited out the back, the 17 other women in the physique (our figure) class were in amazing condition and I was so proud to be in their company on that stage, I knew I had missed my mark and I was not in the running.. Hey I was still in the top 18 women who made it to that stage so I tried to give my all....

By the end of the judging I was so exhausted I could not even hold my "relaxed" pose.. Sam Atrill took the Gold... How the judges could make a decision between the top 6 is beyond me, I think there were 10 women up there who could-have-should-have won, they are amazing... As exhausted as I was I was proud to be amongst them....
Feet didn't touch the ground after the class, suitcase zipped, a few quick photos, naked in the carpark again, in the car, removed make up, tied up the bloody hair and in tears headed to the Sunshine coast to register for the IFBB Queensland Titles....
How Hubby sat in that car with me for that trip is beyond me... I was a psychopath... ranting and raving and sleeping and crying wow dehydration and lack of sleep really are things you should not play with..

Hubbies description afterwards was "starving to death cat look" and he was spot on....

My concern was not the 2nd place in the first class or the lack of placing, it was how badly I had missed the mark on my presentation and condition... so far off the mark... Lack of sleep??? I am disgusted at how badly I was looking on Saturday... embarrassed.. ashamed... 2nd??? hmmm did I really deserve that???? Registered for the Sunday comp and came home, carb loaded and slept, ate, slept, ate slept...
Woke feeling alive again.. 4am start... Kelli's at 5.30, make up, hair, feeling better but still not happy with my condition... still not how I want to look... off to the comp... much more relaxed this
time, back with the Kelli girls... lots of fun with all the girls back stage... loved the novice girls all awesome!!!

Met lots of great ladies... saw lots of lovely boy bums... Hubby got to glue lots of girly bums... Met Mr Ronnie Coleman - gasp!!! flush!!! Wow!!!

Seemed like a nice guy.. glad I didn't get Jantana on his white shirt LOL




Then found out only 2 in my class... I won... out of two....
I had a great time at the IFBB Comp... preferred the whole atmosphere... far more friendly... dragged out a bit but still a great day... I am still not happy with my condition for either competition.. Happy that I placed at all in both comps... wish their were more competitors in the classes that I placed in...

Ate my banana's with peanut butter... no jam.. jam took too long to open LOL.. then went into the venue and had a chicken cob salad for tea.. coffee... pecan pie... more coffee three hundred litres of water... ok may only two hundred litres of water... protein powder cottage cheese & banana & peanut butter when I got home... then back to eggy oats this morning, but added banana and Protein powder... then today for lunch I had tuna, beans and rice... Yep I know I could have had anything I wanted.. and I did.. that's exactly what I felt like for lunch.... it was YUM!!!!
Soooo now what???? Well I start getting ready for the next one of course!!! I was not happy with how I looked this time so I have things to improve on... muscles to build... posing to practice... bananas to eat... LOL
Thank you all for your messages of support and comments on here and Facebook, they really helped me so much when I was propped up in the chair not sleeping and wondering what the hell a 49 year old Nana was doing to trying to compete against these baby faced 40 year olds!!!

5 comments:

Kerry W said...

Hi Cathy

I'm sorry it wasn't what you expected, and a little disappointing. Nonetheless, you've done yourself proud. You look pretty bloody AWESOME for a 49yr old Nana!

It's still a great achievement, and I hope you will take the time to focus on your journey, because that's every bit as important, if not more than the finale!

Best of wishes for the next leg of your figure comp journey. :)

Sandra said...

Cathy,
WOW!
You looked awesome to me...look forward to following your journey to the next comp.
Have been promising myself a trip to Qld one of these days...might just tie it in with one of your comps.
Sandra
xxx

Witchazel said...

Thanx Kerry, Im sure I will feel better once I'm not so tired LOL
Sandra!!! If you ever get up here I would love to meet you comp or not!!!

MICHAELA said...

Cathy, Cathy, Cathy....don't be so hard on yourself...you looked absolutely awesome...and don't forget it is about the journey getting there...be proud of yourself even though you feel you weren't at your best on the day...heck you were on the stage at OLYMPIA...bloody fantastic ..I so so wanted to qualify for that and didnt :( ....so embrace your achievements girl. Figure comp is an emotional roller coast ride especially just after being on stage...it does get better with time...ride with it...and I am so glad you are continuing and look forward to sharing the stage with you...you are an inspiration to me!!!
Michaela xxxx

joni_123 said...

Figure Olympia competition