Focus......

“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”- Arnold Schwarzenegger
“The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.” -Arnold Schwarzenegger

FIGURING OUT THE FIFTIES.... SO THIS IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT.......

Friday 19 December 2008

Shopping with a pixie...

Training is still great and the Personal Bests are still growing...

Weight is still good, fat% is behaving...

Totally miss my cardio every night but the 3 times a week I am doing is all good, anyway I have to admit it's bloody exhausting in 35 degree heat... No air-con at my gym and now a couple of the fans don't work - gasp!

And it's just as well I have spent the past year building up my stamina and fitness because I found out why I need it....

I took my Mum shopping yesterday...

Gee it is interesting shopping at this time of the year with an 83 year old woman who is 4 foot 10 inches tall... in heels!!

The first problem you have is that she is actually shorter than all the clothes racks in any given shop...

You go into a shop - turn around - wham she has vanished!!!

No use calling out for her as she is pretty hard of hearing... I almost got to the stage of crawling around peering under racks to see her feet... The problem with that is she has tiny size 3 itty bitty feet which are hard to spot anyway..

It's like going shopping with a rampant pixie!

Tell ya Mum may be 83 with a gammy knee but she is damn quick, and has the stamina of a draught horse... We left home at 9.30am and I had to beg at 2pm to be fed and then we still had to stop in every shop between where we were and the next coffee shop....

The 2nd problem is that when you are 83 and partially deaf you are apparently allowed to say what you think about anything to anyone - loudly... Yes Mum, those earrings probably are not worth that amount of money..... CRINGE!

I also had to endure the proud Mum things... you know...

"This is my Baby!!! She can carry that because she lifts weights!! Not bad since she is 50.. are you 50 yet dear???"

Nice to know she is proud but really Mum the girl behind the check out in Target doesn't care... and NO not 50 yet!

I finally had the best opportunity to tell her that I am competing next May and her reaction was....

"Oh but what about your birthday dinner??? (it's right in the middle of the May comps).... ohhh did I tell you the lady next door almost died running a marathon last week in Perth...." ( Actually the neighbour in question is 60 and does Ironmen which is too cool for words!)

So after the day of shopping with Mum, hardly any water or food, then cardio, then grocery shopping I am exhausted - give me an Ironman race any day!!!

No comments: