Focus......

“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”- Arnold Schwarzenegger
“The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.” -Arnold Schwarzenegger

FIGURING OUT THE FIFTIES.... SO THIS IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT.......

Monday 13 April 2009

old habits die hard..

I have been sick for the last two days and although you would think that this has helped me not want any of the Easter foods lurking everywhere it has actually made it harder for me....

I was bought up on plain foods and basic meals... Meat, 3 veges, potato.

I am old enough to remember the first McD's arriving in NZ... I can even remember the first take away fush & chups (yes I'm a Kiwi) shop opening in our neighbourhood... Didn't see a Pizza place till I came over here for a while when I was 19!

Prior to that we would eat fish after we went for a Sunday drive to the Auckland wharves and actually caught the fish. Dad grew all our vegetables, we had chickens and so had eggs... if Dad couldn't grow it, mostly we didn't eat it. And no we didn't live on a farm, we lived about 1/2 hour out of Auckland central LOL

The thing is, when we were sick or unhappy or broken in any way Mum would console us with sweet food.... home baked biscuits, home made jams and whipped cream on top of hot fresh scones. Deserts were custard, cream and peaches (the peaches were preserved at home with syrup thick enough to stand a teaspoon up in)....

So even now when I am unwell, sad or broken in anyway... sweet is what I crave! Sweet is my comfort craving.... As it seems to be for most of the women who blog around here...

Is this for the same reason as me... was something sweet a treat?

I can also honestly say that I have given into my sweet craving today... yesterday I managed to eat my normal meals but it caused havoc with my insides, today I just cannot put anything really solid in my mouth, so I have gone for the sweet foods... Yes today I am living on Protein powder ... oh and Staminade to keep my fluids up...

I think I have finally managed to no longer see the chocolate Easter eggs as my prize or reward or treat for any reason... They are a chocolate Easter egg, they do not have a personality, and when I look at them I see a food that doesn't actually contain what I need to be healthy and happy... In fact I now see them a lot like a bottle of bourbon... Is it worth the hangover????? Sometimes it is.. most of the time it's not...

So I think I can now say I have broken another old habit, because eating junk food and sweet crap IS just a habit we have all fallen into... I never wanted McD's before they were available!

My brother has a Lovely Chinese wife who had not tasted chocolate until she moved here and received an Easter egg from work... She said it was disgusting and could not understand why anyone would be happy to receive such a thing... She had never wanted to try it because she had never been told it was a reward, treat or prize.... Lucky thing LOL

No comments: