Focus......

“Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”- Arnold Schwarzenegger
“The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.” -Arnold Schwarzenegger

FIGURING OUT THE FIFTIES.... SO THIS IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT.......

Monday 1 November 2010

No -Vember...

Thanks to LizN and her blog about Nailing November I now have a new goal to reach!

The idea is to pick some things to fix in yourself for just one month... and I have to admit I had a bit of a job trying to think of some faults... no, believe me I am definitely not an Amazonian Warrior Princess with no faults.. (eh Julie?) but trying to decide what faults or slip ups that I do possess that could actually be "nailed" in a one small month was more the problem!

Then it came to me... my biggest problem... the thing that limits me in so many aspects of my life... the biggest, toughest, scariest, mind numbing fear that I have.... I have decided to concentrate the whole of November on this one thing that is my nemesis..........

Hello group... my name in Cath... and I am a.......... HERMIT! I am going to spend November saying "No more hiding!"

Really, this is not a joke, I am a hermit, I find it incredibly difficult to talk to people in the real world. Incredibly hard... ohhh yes I can blog away for hours,  believe me I have trouble finishing a blog... and Facebook well that is the best thing since already sticky postage stamps, it has helped me actually communicate with so many people I would never have had the nerve to speak to... I love it!!!

Yes for me to look someone in the eye and say "HI!" fills me with dread... I will avoid talking to people using a ridiculously large assortment of methods... I have hidden crouched down behind the bed at home to avoid taking a parcel from a delivery driver, I can do a 180 degree turn faster than a rat up the obviously proverbial drainpipe so as not to "bump" into people I know... I have done an extra 20 reps in a set at the gym rather than finish and have to speak to someone!

Now I am not just talking about meeting strangers, I am talking about people I know.  I find it scary to communicate with real people, I always feel like I am grasping for words, which just frustrates me even more since I love the written word so much! I know that if I could send someone a letter or email I could tell them so much more than my voice does... the more frustrated I get the more I don't want to try and there in lies my demon... I have become more and more hermitised... I am finding more and more ways to avoid people and I am now going to use this fabulous idea that Liz has presented to untrain my hermitismness... No to Avoidance!

It takes me months to feel comfortable with people and now I am going to spend a month being more talkative and chatty. I am not going to find a reason not to attend gatherings or meetings. I am going to push out of my cave and out of my comfort zone and mingle and mix.

So if you do see me in the real world, be amazed, because if I saw you first and didn't leap behind a shop shelve or dash down a supermarket aisle I am breaking through a barrier.. I may looked like a possum in a spotlight and I may stumble a mumbly conversation... but if you wait till you get home there will probably be a huge email from me telling you how great it was to see you....

I am also saying "No Limits!" with my training, I always record what I push or pull and tend to use these as limits to my next training session.. No more! Tonight I increased my personal bests in most of my chest and shoulder exercises and i am not limiting myself anymore!!

Ohhhh and guess what... yep... diet jelly is back on the menu... ohhhh and so are coloured vegetables, ok I know green is a colour but its not easy being green so I figured it must be easier being red or orange so just so they don't have it too easy and get all relaxed about life I am eating them now...

Tomorrow there is some sort of a horse race on... I believe the brown one will win... they tend to.. so if you do like to bet on those sort of things go for the brown one... Also if it is from NZ it would have grown up on green grass and knows what a sheep is and that always helps when people are trying to fleece you of your money... so go with any brown NZ horses.. they know how to work the system...

I work where gambling reigns supreme (yep the pun was there I hoped you noticed) betting tomorrow is almost compulsory and I have already wagered $2 on something called "Calcutta" no, don't ask, I have no idea... after it was explained to me I had even less of an idea than before I had an idea... Tomorrow I will also be spending a grand total of $8 on "sweeps" which apparently have nothing to do with chimneys or cleaning, well they probably have a lot to do with cleaning out pockets but anyway... I will give my money to a nice little old lady to help the legacy kids... I do not in any way expect to see a profit of any kind resulting from my investment of $10... but I will invest it anyway as it will force me to go and look strangers in the eye and converse with them.. and that is a big enough gamble for me...

3 comments:

Chelle said...

You can do it Cathy!... I would NEVER have guessed that you are shy! =)

mq01 said...

BIG HUGS!! :) xoxo!!
trying new things bring spice surprises good fortune and variety to our day/life. woohoo! great to hear you putting your voice out there in the wind my friend :D i can hear you.

Kek said...

Yay, Cathy! You can do this.... don't worry, I'm a bit hermit-y too, so I totally get where you're coming from.

Go get 'em!